Thursday 9 May 2024

Blue

We had an early morning walk along the beach. It was the first day of 2024 to be wearing our shorts!
Then it was home to tackle the compost heap, getting the stuff from the bottom to spread as a mulch and putting the top back in the bottom to rot down fully. A bit messy, yes, but very satisfying! And did I look grubby at the end of it? Yes. The garden is lush with new growth and I am enjoying the various blue flowers before they disappear for another season. I really appreciate the forget-me-nots, nothing eats them, they are a perfect backdrop to other plants and they are prolific without being a pest. What's not to like! The garden looks a little bare once they have gone over and I pull them up. I always make sure to give the plants a good shake so that they will drop seed to give a good display the following year. Because this is a woodland garden I'm happy to let the bluebells flourish wherever they want. Just as well because they can be invasive!
The blue flowers may be fading but I'm hoping that there will be plenty of blue sky from now on!

8 comments:

  1. A woodland garden seems perfect. No Lawns and a lovely mix of plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll confess that I would appreciate a little more light so that I could grow some of my favourite sun loving flowers, but otherwise I am happy to have a garden that makes fewer demands.

      Delete
  2. I hate pulling up the forget-me-nots when there are still a few flowers hanging on. I love them and, like you, always shake them to spread the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look bare for a while when they have been removed. Such good doers.

      Delete
  3. I envy you a little bit, that you have the sea to stroll on. Enjoy it. Oh yes, I love the blue flowers as well. But the Blue Bells won´t grow so well in my garden, although I´ve got woodland parts. At the moment the blue aquilegia started to bloom. Love them, especially when bumble bees try to get their fat buttoms into the flowers. :)
    Have a nice Sunday.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is still a novelty and a delight to find ourselves living near to the sea.
      I had a wonderful Sunday, Alex, thank you, and am going to post a ridiculous amount of photos about it!

      Delete
  4. Forgetmenots are among my favourite flowers.
    I like it that you let the flowers in your garden choose their own space. They are usually rather good at that.
    Isn't it a small celebration each year when we get to be out short-sleeved and in shorts for the first time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a tidy gardener, I like it to be teetering on the brink of chaos.
      After a wonderful weekend of warmth and sunshine today is a disgrace, driving rain and cold. Like a fool I planted out my courgettes and squash in the sun. That is NOT the kind of chaos that I appreciate!

      Delete