Monday 3 September 2018

Wensleydale Agricultural Show


Back 'home' in Yorkshire for the Bank Holiday I had to cut a swathe through the small front garden to access the door. We hadn't been there for many months and everything was overgrown.
Ripened figs hung over the boundary line of the garden. Great! I could pick enough to make some jam to enter in the local agricultural show.
The recipe is from my mother's farmhouse kitchen book, using dried figs which you soak overnight. I cut the fresh figs into much smaller pieces than the recipe suggests. It sets easily and turns into a lovely deep red jam.

The Wensleydale Show on a dry, sunny Saturday, was busier than ever this year. Good weather brought the crowds and extra fields had to be used in order to park all the cars. 
The care taken in displaying the vegetables always amuses me. (I'd left a neighbour to pick my veg while we were in Yorkshire. When I returned I discovered 'courgettes' that had turned into marrows that would have given some of the Yorkshire competitors a run for their money!)




There is something for everyone. 



I always enjoy the children's section with their edible necklaces and miniature gardens.


Hoorah, Wee One got second prize in the handicraft section! (Oh dear, thinks our boy, I hope I'm not going to have to wear it once the show is over. Not to worry, the items in this class are being donated to the local dementia unit.)
Our grandson much prefers looking round the poultry marquee.



I LOVE ducks and hate to see them in cages.
I used to keep Khaki Campbells and am tempted to do so again. Only the knowledge that foxes would be only too keen to take them makes me hesitate. This call duck was very beautiful.

I'm always impressed by the involvement of children in all aspects of the show. They have a real enthusiasm and pride in what they do and I'm aware that long before they reach adulthood they will have acquired considerable knowledge and expertise. 




This lad knew everything there was to know about his father's road worker's truck.
He gave Himself a blow-by-blow account!

This curious little tractor was used in America to move up and down the rows in vineyards.
The carthorse had a lot of attention
and I liked the work-wear outfit.


One of my favourite events in the main ring is the carriage driving, there is so much to enjoy; the smartness of the rig and driver, the  relationship of horse and owner and the skill involved.
This is Linda Jones  with Tiger Lily.
Don't they look grand!
At the end of the show there was terrier racing which kept everyone amused. After a series of heats the final race was won by Barney, a smooth fox terrier, second a Lakeland and third another smooth, Barney's relative. I have had two smooths as pets and they are a joy. They are an endangered breed so I do hope that Barney's success will revive some interest in keeping the breed alive.  

It was a great day out!

15 comments:

  1. Looks brilliant and the weather behaved itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that you would know what a sensory twiddle muff is, Busy Bee, but I didn't have a clue. I should have taken a picture of the first prize winner but was so pleased with Wee One getting second that I forgot.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for showing all of the pictures. I really enjoyed this post! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Jenn. The show is held in the field near to the Weaver's new home, I'm sure she will have heard everything on the rather loud tannoy!

      Delete
  3. The veggies are very nicely displayed and the picture of your grandson with the chickens are wonderful.

    I love farm shows but haven't been to one in quite a few years. The last one I attended, a cow stepped on my foot. Amazingly nothing was broken, but my very loud scream brought a lot of attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, you were lucky not to get broken bones! Lots to see and do at the show, I didn't photograph the family tucking into venison burgers!

      Delete
  4. It looks great fun. Those carrots must have been grown in peat to get such long roots. Was that dill in your garden? I need that. I've grown lots for my pickles and some years get some and others, none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they grow the carrots in drainpipes. It's fennel in the garden. It springs up all over the place, but I'm happy for it to do so.

      Delete
  5. Obviously presentation is everything with vegetables! I think you should call yourself 'Share My GardenS' Cher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Yorkshire patch is just a strip to separate us from the road. We are there so rarely that it's always a bit of a jungle. The one down here is going the same way.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Greg, thank you for commenting on my post. I've been over to look at your site and see that it is all work related. Doubt I shall ever need an American lawyer, but you never know!

      Delete
  7. I'm curious to the taste of the cucumber and lemon cordial. So nice you had the 2nd price with your garden. I love visiting agricultural shows and obviously the Wensleydale show is a huge and great one. Carriagedriving is also a favorite of mine, as are the chickens and cows. It's amazing how the English show their vegetables, should like to have that here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the cordial would taste predominantly of lime, I doubt that cucumber would add much to the mix.
      Second prize was won by our younger daughter for a sensory twiddle muff - the state of my garden would win no prizes!
      The vegetable displays always amuse me - a little saucer with three onions neatly sitting in sand!

      Delete
  8. Hello rosemary as chairman of the wensleydale show thank you for sharing your day at the show,we are that busy organising we dont get a view of what the public see and we just hope to provide a entertaining day out.we are building a new website and just wondered if we could use some of your photos and comments.if you have some good veg or flowers this year in your garden you can enter our online show kentonfoster@sky.com

    ReplyDelete