Wednesday 26 September 2012

Autumn flowers in the house

I went into the garden this morning to pick some flowers for flwrjane's party. It was very wet and windy and the blooms were rather battered and marked. It always surprises me how much better they look once brought inside and gathered together in a vase.
Because it was such a dull day I had to photograph them in electric light, which always distorts the colours. I picked the yellow fennel flowers from the vegetable garden.
The annual cosmos 'Purity' is still flowering beautifully in spite of being hammered by the weather
but you can see that the Japanese anemones are rather ragged at the edges and this is my last presentable spray of astrantia.
A few straggling late summer roses still bloom.

Without artificial light it looks altogether more subdued.
 For Jane at Small But Charming.

5 comments:

  1. Good to see the party is still going! Very nice for so late in the season. I can't believe you still have globe thistle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just about over, Steve, bent and bedraggled (and I feel a bit the same way!)

      Delete
  2. I think it all looks wonderful! I envy the variety still blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, Bonnie, they don't amount to anything in the garden, but as I said in the post, once they are in the house they seem to perk up. Flowers always give me such a great deal of pleasure.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you selected the flowers and arranged the bouquet beautifully.

    ReplyDelete