Monday 4 April 2016

Potting



Potting, pootling and being driven potty by the weather. I keep hoping to have a decent day to do some much needed work in the garden but every time I get my boots on the heavens open. Thank goodness for a greenhouse were I can sow a few seeds that won't rot away in the sodden ground. I've usually planted my broad beans and first early peas outside by now but this year I've resorted to sowing them in the greenhouse. Everything is late, the St Patrick's Day daffodils are only now in flower. 

I ordered 100 litres of perlite to keep my potting mixture healthy and realise that it's much better value to buy in bulk like this. (I'm rather late in life to be only just making this discovery!)


Took the lid off the rhubarb forcer 
and discovered enough for a pudding.
Well, that's cheered me up!

6 comments:

  1. Rosemary, you are a busy bee, even though the weather isn't cooperating. Opposite here. Everything is early as our winter was mild. Is that citrus in your greenhouse? Never tasted rhubarb but in a pudding sounds wonderful. I grew it once but didn't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to post my favourite rhubarb recipe for you Donna.
      Yes, it's a lemon tree, sitting it out in the greenhouse not very happily, getting scale insect, greenfly, leaf drop, black mould, you name it... They will go outside as soon as the temperature lifts.

      Delete
  2. Rather strange as we had a very mild winter, but indeed the daffodils are later and even my Magnolia stellata is later than ever. Good idea of the Perlite, I think I should use that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janneke, I've been over for a virtual walk around your spring garden. What a FABULOUS greenhouse!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking great as always. The nursery behind us has Myers lemon on sale and I very tempted to go get one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go buy, Doc! My Meyer lemon tree is the best cropper and the tastiest fruit, well worth mollycoddling throughout the winter months.

    ReplyDelete