Sunday 14 December 2014

Gluten free cake

A good few years ago we brought home a small orange tree from a holiday in Majorca. It produces half a dozen or so large, sweet fruits each year. Family will be home for Christmas and a couple of them eat gluten free. I know that my oranges are free of any sprays and chemicals and therefore just the thing for a recipe that uses the whole fruit, both flesh and skin.

Fig and orange cake
Ingredients

2 oranges         
6 eggs
225 ground almonds
225 castor sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 figs

Preheat your oven to gas mark 5
Place oranges in a pan of boiling water, cover and simmer for about an hour until soft. Pick out any seeds then puree.
Whisk eggs and fold in all the other ingredients excepting the figs which are for decoration. You will have a very loose mix. 
Place in a greased and papered loose bottom  20cm tin.  Decorate the surface with sliced figs and bake for an hour until firm and a good golden colour. Leave to cool in the tin.
I should have kept mine in the oven for another five minutes because the centre dropped a little as it cooled.  Glaze the cake once it is cold. I used a fig liqueur simmered with a spoonful of redcurrant jelly but the recipe in my book suggests using campari. (I photographed before putting on the glaze - the cake is now VERY shiny, so I don't think that a glaze is really necessary.)
The cake is in the freezer for now. We shall eat it either on it's own or with a dollop of fig ice-cream.

6 comments:

  1. I must try this. I love oranges and figs.
    I will try this with my tangelos as they are lovely right now..
    Since i don't/can't drink (love Campari) I will have to decide on another glaze.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just inserted a bit on the post about the glaze, Parsnip, as I don't think it's necessary at all. My cake now looks so shiny , I think it was better as seen in the photo. It's a new recipe for me so I hope it tastes good!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this lovely recipe! The cake looks delicious!

    cheers, Trude (from the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trude, I've popped over to your site but there's nothing to read as yet! I'll take a look again shortly and hope to learn about you and your life in the Netherlands.
      The cake is an easy recipe to make but I've yet to find out what it tastes like, and that's the most important thing!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hello and welcome, Lawerdoll. I've been over to your blog and read 'about me' - a negative list! How about another list that's made up with positives, starting with, 'I have a big smile'?
      I'm pleased with how the cake turned out. It's in the freezer now, waiting for the gluten-free bunch to hit home for the holiday. (I've just made some fig ice-cream to go with it!)

      Delete