Sunday 27 March 2011

Primroses

Here is the door to my garden shed where I store innumerable pots, cloches, tools and the summer furniture.
The 'St Patrick's Day' daffodils have finally deigned to flower. Better late than never!

Yellow is the over-riding colour at this time of year. Marsh marigolds edge the pond 

and quiet corners of the garden are carpeted with the common primrose, seen here underplanting a quince bush.

The primula denticula alba came from my Aunt Elsie's garden in Kilcreggan, Scotland. She died last year, the last of my parents' generation, and I am pleased to have this springtime flower to remember her by.

In the greenhouse my auriculas are starting to give a far more vibrant display than their garden relatives. Mine are all un-named varieties.











Other colours are just coming into bud.

I picked and made my favourite rhubarb pudding for lunch,  rhubarb and orange meringue, the recipe is in my June 2010 'Vegetable Garden' posting.
The rhubarb pieces are cooked in a custard before being topped with meringue

and cooked again until golden in colour.

This recipe is equally good eaten hot or cold. It can be served in individual ramekins for dinner parties.


5 comments:

  1. What's the persimmon-colored flower on the shrub in the first photo? Is that quince?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I pitch a tent in your garden when the good weather arrives, and really Share your garden, Cher? You could bring me out rhubarb pudd'n' every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is lovely. It only takes a few days of sun for everything to burst open. I can smell the wisteria outside the lovely blue door to your shed. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous. The cold has come back to Pennsylvania again and spring is on hold.

    The simplicity of your pictures is stunning. Lots of oohs, and aahs from me.

    ReplyDelete