Monday 16 September 2024

Yorkshire

I've been back 'home' for a couple of weeks, catching up with friends, seeing family, walking in the hill mist, walking in the sunshine, having a potter around old haunts. It has been wonderful. The first photo is of the view I get as we are about to enter the dale where my parents lived. We often stop the car here and take a look at the dale spread out before us and it always fills me with joy. We find the journey north very arduous now, we are getting slower and everyone else seems to be getting faster. We break the journey overnight with dear friends from our student days, it would not be possible otherwise.
Our place is small and basic but suits our needs well enough. The front is due south so that the sun pours in through the windows and in cold weather a log burner stove keeps us warm.
We went for supper with the friends who live in my parents' former home. It is always a joyful occasion, lots of laughter - and good food, as Lorraine's pies demonstrate! It is a continuation of the way my parents lived, with an open door, an easy coming and going of friends and a lot of laughter.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely cottage. The pie animals made me smile - my grandma always had them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a blackbird and am now wanting a fox. (The blackbird pie was chicken and the fox vegetarian.)

      Delete
  2. Your home there looks so comfortable. Are they Lloyd Loom chairs? I know what you mean by slowing down and everyone else seeming to go faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wicker chairs were from Ikea a good few years ago and, yes, they are comfy.

      Delete
  3. The cottage looks comfortable and a good place to relax. Mmmm to the pies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No t.v. so we do a lot of reading and writing when we are here. Lovely just to hunker down after a good walk on the moors.

      Delete
  4. May I have a piece of the pie with the fox on top, please?
    Your cottage looks homely. And it is a good idea to break up a long journey - you're not in a rush to get there and back, I hope.
    The view of the dale is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A serving of vegetarian pie for you then! The journeys to and from Yorkshire were grim, the roads far too crowded, road works, bad driving, we were relieved to arrive safely at our destination.

      Delete
  5. That is a lovely home from home and a nice link with your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I value the link with my parents greatly. It is wonderful just to be able to open the door and shout, Hi, anybody home?

      Delete
  6. I really like your cottage. It looks so comfortable, just lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love it there, it will always be the place that I think of as home. The bedroom and bathroom are both very small and basic, where we are bouncing off the walls! The living room, photographed, and the kitchen are more generous. We figured that a soak in the bath and straight into bed at the end of the day was all that was needed.

      Delete