Tuesday 23 April 2024

Blossomise

A lovely surprise present came in the post from my friend, Sarah. A book of poetry celebrating spring blossom. How timely!
The garden is bursting into bloom. I especially enjoy the white flowers that illuminate this shady space. The white tulips with fringed petals called 'Honeymoon' are doing particularily well, I shall buy more of them in the autumn. Some of the other tulips have succumbed to the gusts of wind.
I've put some bamboo canes over the raised beds to deter the black cat who thinks I've prepared the soil not for my vegetables but for him. It's still far too cold for me to be planting out.
When the showers come I can retreat to the greenhouse and enjoy the perfume.
The birdsong is wonderful and there is a lot of activity with small birds flitting everywhere.
My next door neighbour has lent me this book. It is pleasing at every level, content, the words and illustrations but also the scale of the book for the hand, the overall design, the choice of paper. I love a well designed hardback and intend to buy a copy to surprise my friend.
Interestingly, this illustration reminds me of our visit the other week to the abandoned village of Tyneham.

6 comments:

  1. Our daughter was at school with Simon Armitage's daughter. They thought it funny they kept seeing Emmeline's dad on TV.
    Scary very talented young lady: https://youtu.be/wFXlfWNJjr8?si=x9Pzg9knsxlvsd3v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Himself went to the same school as Simon Armitage, although some years earlier! (He was their first head boy.)

      Delete
  2. I love Angela Harding's illustrations and often come across them in England, be it on calendars, notebooks, cards or elsewhere. The poetry book looks wonderful.
    Your white tulips are perfect against the backdrop of forgetmenots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted with those tulips, they are standing up to the weather far better than the other varieties.

      Delete
  3. There is a lot of white in the garden at present and I had not quite appreciated that until reading your blog post. As I look out, I see choisya smothered in white flowers, and of course the fruit blossoms, though mostly gone over now, are mainly white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've scattered a lot of white foxglove seed from my previous home and hope for good results. This shady garden should suit it, it is one of my favourite garden plants. White flowers look lovely, especially in the dusk.

      Delete