Wednesday 8 June 2011

Good growing weather.

We've had a much needed deluge and all the plants in the garden are refreshed, if a little battered.
Between the rainfall the sun shines - perfect growing weather.

The rose, 'Charles de Mills' is very prolific but also untidy. I took a good look at the rose supports in the Mells gardens last weekend and before next season Charles is going to be given some sturdy staking!

We are reaping the rewards and picking strawberries and raspberries


and eating the first of our early potatoes.

I've picked elderflower heads to make cordial. The recipe is in my 2010 June posting, 'Almost a Spell'.


In the gravel garden blue flowers compete with the puddles.

All my old favourites start to reappear in June. 









5 comments:

  1. I love a summer's rain to refresh after depressing heat. (I know it is still officially spring) Beautiful gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rosemary:
    Although your plants may have been rather beaten down by the rain, everything in your garden is looking so very healthy and lush. Your vegetable garden looks pristine and seems set to reward you with a mountain of fresh produce. Wonderful.

    Rosa 'Charles de Mills' is such a beautiful shape and colour. The dusty purple is so pretty and the old-fashioned form is so attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, both your garden and the thought of rain. Over a 100 degrees here on this fine June day. No rain for weeks, none in sight.

    So this post was an eye refresher for me.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I suppose the rain does have its benefits, but really I'm so tired of gardening in it...Yuk...I think my Redwood just sneezed on me. And it is raining still :o(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could live in a different country from us here in North Yorkshire where it is very dry and chilly. Our roses are barely in bud yet - my beloved Gertrude Jekyll not even showing a bud. Your garden looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete