Wednesday 27 December 2023

Deck the halls etc..

We brought in beech twigs and the tip of a fir tree from the garden, along with holly and ivy to decorate the house. What a palaver with the tree, it behaved in a very drunken fashion and we ended up securing it to the banisters with a rope! Since it is not a traditional stiff-branched fir only the lightest ornaments will say in place. I buy one new ornament every year, this year it is a felt mouse, perched somewhere up at the top of the tree. We use the same decorations year after year, some of them rather battered but holding good memories.
The Boy was very busy helping to decorate the Christmas cake, rolling a few icing snowballs and eaing them to make sure they were alright!
We have played silly games, eaten and eaten and eaten. Actually, it is still only the day after Boxing Day and we are STILL eating.
We've even made a start on the Christmas cake.
I hope, dear Bloggers, that you have all had a wonderful time.

9 comments:

  1. I like your decorations! And what would Christmas be without those old bits and pieces that may be past their best, but hold precious memories for us?
    Also, never underestimate the importance of quality control… such as with icing for the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Control" - that's a word that doesn't quite fit with Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Ahh, the traditions of Christmas, so etched in my memory. I used to help my grandma with icing the Christmas cakes in her bakery, my job was to place the little silver balls and ornaments in place. I love your tree and ornaments.
    Looks like a wonderful Christmas was had by all .
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the great pleasure of Christmas is continuing family traditions and through them remembering all the good times and much-loved people that we've known.

      Delete
  3. Love your decorations. I still have decorations from way back and used to buy one new decoration each year although I have stopped that now as we seem to have so much STUFF. Great to have help from Grandson with the icing of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STUFF - tell me about it! (Quite a bit of the icing was 'sampled'!)

      Delete
  4. I adore seeing everyone Christmas Tree. All the decorations that bring back wonderful memories. Wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blogging world that gives us a peep into other peoples' lives, not just the landscapes but the personal family histories that some record. Wonderful social history! (Or am I just plain nosey?!)

      Delete