Saturday 14 March 2020

Seed swap

Today was our local seed swap and potato day. Who would have thought that there is such a huge variety of spuds to grow! Shops and nurseries stock such a narrow choice and that is why an event like this is so valuable, keeping unusual old heirloom and local varieties of plants in cultivation.
In normal years, when we open the doors at ten, a large crowd has already gathered and they all surge in, many clutching their carefully harvested seed, ready to exchange. How different today, the virus threat kept many away, I think we were down to less than half our usual number.
What a shame, because the stall holders had brought a lot of lovely things.
Although, of course, when the stall holders looked around the room they couldn't resist buying some plants for themselves!


I liked the hive and herbals products.
hivesandherbals.com
Lovely beeswax candles!
And their beeswax food wraps are a great idea.
I couldn't resist photographing this jacket because it reminded me of my childhood when these fabric badges were very covetable. I wonder what happened to mine? The owner of the jacket told me that she'd bought it second-hand and hadn't visited any of the places depicted. We had a lovely conversation reminiscing about hotel luggage labels and other things that have disappeared into history. Am I showing my age? Yep, I am.
Thank you to those people who washed their hands, didn't cough and turned up to seed swap and share the pleasures of gardening.

14 comments:

  1. Only £9 for coronavirus candles. A bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire humour - hope you're not prophetic!

      Delete
  2. What a Wonderful Day. You are so lucky to have a Seed Swap Day. Love the Beehive candles.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seed swap is now in it's eleventh year and has been growing steadily until taking a hit yesterday because of the health scare.
      My favourites are the beehive and the tiered cake candles - almost too nice to use!

      Delete
  3. Daffies are the most cheerful flowers, aren' they!
    I am curious about the beeswax food wrap, I have heard about them but never bought them, are they good? Won't the food smell and taste of wax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist buying some dainty 'minnow' daffodils.
      I use muslin squares to wrap my cheese so didn't buy the wax wraps but was shown them by the stall holder. I can't imagine that there is any transfer of smell or taste or they wouldn't be fit for purpose.

      Delete
  4. I've never been to a seed swap but I love the idea of it. I have a friend who swaps with folks. It's a neat thing to share. Happy Planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our swap started in a small way eleven years ago and is now a successful community annual event. Get together with your friend and start one up! It is a great way to introduce children to the benefits and pleasures of gardening.

      Delete
    2. Glad you've had a great time with yours!

      Delete
  5. What a great event. This health scare has everything canceled here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Doc. Had I not been helping to man a stall I would have avoided the swap this year. It will be my last social gathering for quite a while as we are both in our mid to late seventies and are now self isolating. Tire's plenty for us to be getting on with!

      Delete
  6. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete