Wednesday 6 September 2023

6pm.

Now that school has started and summer is over, summer weather has finally arrived! We have been living in Bournemouth for almost a year and I pretty much know what is going on in the garden so can cut back and dig up with a bit more certainty. Spring colour was good but there has been very little colour in the summer garden and I shall have to rectify that with pots next year. It is such a shady space so in this weather it is a very pleasant place to be. I spent some time unraveling climbers from bushes. I've got to be in a certain frame of mind for this job so that it feels rewarding rather than frustrating! In the early evening we went to the beach for a swim. Lots of people had the same idea. The temperature was lovely, in the water and out, and the atmosphere very calm, as was the sea. The previous day the waves were high and I had just bobbed about in the water like a cork beyond the breaking surf. Today I could enjoy a leisurely swim. People were still arriving as we left, presumably coming after a day at work.
I always come back from a swim looking a bit of a scruff, salty hair, crumpled clothes and sand between my toes no matter how well I try to clean them at the shower on the beach.
But it feels good to be alive!

8 comments:

  1. My main hobby is pruning.
    p.s. Are you aware that someone is snooping on you with a camera when you go swimming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweeping and pruning come high on my list now. Gone are the digging days spent in a veg garden and I miss them and so does my body as well. Leg and knee muscles are much weaker without that workout.
      Yes, I have a minder (and have had for sixty years!) He minds my stuff while I swim, or at least that's his excuse not to be joining me in the water!

      Delete
  2. The Bathing Venus comes to mind!
    It must be great to live close enough to the Sea to go there even only for an hour or so after work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Eighty next month, so from now on only to be photographed from a distance. Yes, being close to the sea feels good, something about the light and the space is so uplifting and I am loving my dips in the sea.

      Delete
  3. Looks like an absolutely lovely day! I enjoy hearing about your days and your garden. What do people do who don't have gardens to potter in? I miss it in the winter time. Wondering what hobbies you have when the cold sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the long delay in replying, Kathy. The computer died on me and has been away to have a part replaced. Hopefully it will struggle now on for a while longer. I am in a writing and a reading group, two activities that keep me engrossed in cold or wet weather. I am always full of ideas for painting but don't have the eyesight for the type of detailed illustration work that I used to do. Another difficulty is that my hand seizes up after a short while holding a brush or pen.

      Delete
  4. I can't recall you referring to weeds in the past, much exercising my mind at the monent as they thrust up between the bricks in my expensively surfaced driveway and front garden. But then your relationship with weeds is probably psychic, causing their abortion when they are hardly more than embryonic.

    It turns out there's a remote war being fought over weed-killers; the cardinal sin revolving round a substance starting with glyco- . I was sold some non-PC killer under the counter; the hint being it might finish off the bricks as well. In fact it did neither though I may have over-diluted. Another highly experienced gardener spoke enthusiasticaly about power-washers intended for de-gritting car wheels. There is is a jet function on my hose so I tried that, the aim being to remove the earth that nourishes the weeds. Another voie sans issue. So I'm back to the wire-brush scritcher which seems - in comparison - positively Neanderthal. Damn it I need to write and sing; I've no time to strangle the little buggers at birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you give me such psychic power - would that it were so! In the absence of strong killers I have used boiling water in the past. I'm not a tidy person so not especially troubled by the presence of weeds. I bought some pc slug and snail killer and it had no effect whatsoever so I now scatter my citrus skins hopefully beneath my pots of courgettes and beans.

      Delete