Saturday 2 October 2021

Wet, wet, wet.

 I've been deconstructing the garden furniture today ready to haul it into an outhouse. The heavens opened while I was halfway through the task and now the wooden furniture and I are sodden. 

There are loads of berries on the the trees and bushes. Does this mean that we are in for a hard winter? I don't know whether that is an old wives' tale or if it has any basis in fact.

 
A blackbird is nesting in the bush to the left of the kitchen door. Whenever I come outside it flies out of
the bush in front of me screeching it's head off. You would think it would be used to me by now.

There has been so much rain that our grapes are starting to rot. I picked a bucketful and made a couple of bottles of juice.. It looked beautiful and was quite sweet. I didn't drink much and a good job too. Oh, the bellyache!

The freshly picked corn on the cob are far more successful.

 The light levels are low, there is obviously far more rain still to come

 


I'm going to hunker down inside.







16 comments:

  1. I eat so many of our figs I get tummy ache, doesn’t ever stop me doing the same again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll pour the grape juice down the drain - that's how bad my bellyache was!

      Delete
  2. The end-of-season fruits & vegetables... we hate to see them go, don't we?! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, last bucket of tomatoes, just a few straggling climbing French beans, although the one high up are large and will be harvested as pulses. I'm sad to know they are over for another year.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. And it is. can you imagine the butter running down my chin!

      Delete
  5. The end of one season and the beginning of the next is always a special time, part of me is nostalgic about summer being over and part of me is looking forward to beautiful autumn walks and cosy evenings in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very nostalgic time of year for me and I rather dread the long months ahead that are cold and dull. (But I do perk up when the weather is crisp and bright!) Yesterday I sorted out my packets of collected seed, decanting and labeling, so my thoughts are already looking forward to planting next spring.

      Delete
  6. All these photos are lovely, but for some reason the corn on the cob one really delights me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh fresh corn!!! Above all that looks so delicious!!! I'm hoping for a mild winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete