Saturday 26 August 2023

Recipe book

I've harvested a good crop of figs and looked through my recipe books to decide what I should make with them. My Aunt Elsie gave me a blank recipe book one Christmas in which she had written some of her favourite recipes and tips; how to clean silver, how to soften tough beefsteak and a recipe for Tournedos Rossini - you can tell which one of us was married to a surgeon! Come on, Auntie, fillet steak, fois gras and truffles have never featured on my shopping list!
This summer my dear friend, Dot Horner, a farmer's wife in the Yorkshire Dales, died unexpectedly. She was a wonderful cook and would always spoil me with home made biscuits or cake whenever I was home. We would sit down to supper in which ever house and spend the evening in laughter and reminiscence. I shall miss her very much. In Aunt Elsie's recipe book I have a favourite Yorkshire curd tart recipe from Dot's mother-in-law, also called Dorothy. Both Dorothys would save their beastings, or curds, for me so that I could make the recipe. Today I made it with cottage cheese. What an evocative book this has now become, it contains so many recipes from friends and family who have died.
Dot and Michael working together as they always did.
I got sidetracked and still have to deal with the figs!

7 comments:

  1. Can they be dried and eaten raw? I like the shop bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious eaten raw, but I can only eat so many! They are lovely cooked on top of cheese with a dribble of balsamic vinegar and also on almond tarts. I shall set to tomorrow if the weather is as grim as today, rain squalls and thunder!

      Delete
    2. Just one or two would keep me going.

      Delete
  2. I think my Mum used to make delicious things with figs from the allotment, like chutneys. I can ask her for her recipe, if you like.
    The personal recipe book you have is a wonderful collection of memory triggers. Sorry to hear your friend has died unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading what you make with the figs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend, Mary, gave me a great recipe for fig jam. It had a little port or sherry in it but, unfortunately, I cannot remember which and I can't find the recipe but there is an interesting one here https://whatagirleats.com/fig-and-ruby-port-jam/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that I love recipe books like that. Mine has recipes like Gill's lemonade or Isabel's Cheese fritters.

      Delete