Monday 24 June 2024

'Home.'

I've been in Yorkshire, the county which I consider to be my home, in spite of having lived elsewhere for many decades. With every house move we are further away and find the journey increasingly hard. As we are getting slower everyone else seems to be getting faster! We had a bit of Dales weather. Never mind, we have the waterproof trousers, jackets etc.. no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing! Elder daughter joined us for a few days and we had the pleasure of walking the paths that she has known all her life, (initially in a papoose that became rather back-breaking for her parents!)
At Coverham we walked over the bridge and along the little-used road to Caldbergh. Note the peat-stained water. We had peat baths all week! We were never far from the sound of running water with many small becks running down to join the river.
The moss on the stones gives a fair indication of plentiful rainfall, but this old stable door suggests that there might also be enough sunshine from time to time to blister a bit of paint!
I don't recall a year when the wild marguerites were so plentiful. They covered the roadside verges on our journey north and were everywhere in the Dales, growing in every crevase, both sides of the bridges.
The local bridges are lovely structures, spanning the Rivers Cover and Ure.
A beck runs beside our property and if you walk up the beckside you come to this small waterfall. It is one of my favourite places.
A footpath cuts through the fields belonging to the houses on the southern side of the village. It is a lovely walk, although some of the styles are a bit of a challenge. Best to have long legs and no belly!
The travelling blacksmith was at work across the road.
We had a lovely, gossipy catch-up with friends, went to the book group meeting at the local pub and had some good walks. After several days of rain the sun shone and it was glorious. It is always the same when I am packing up to leave!

12 comments:

  1. What a delightful area you live in. Lovely paths and fields and the waterfall. And those Marguerite's. That's the same word we call them in Greece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marguerites are so bountiful this year - they obviously loved all the rain!

      Delete
  2. How beautiful. I wonder that you can bear to leave! Your photos are just stunning.
    Popped over from Weaver of Grass because your blog title intrigued me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very hard to leave. (I'm just over the hill from Weaver whom I've met a couple of times some years ago when the farmer was still alive.)

      Delete
  3. That all looks wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly think that it is wonderful, but could be accused of bias!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photographs of a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Granny Sue here, wondering how you can bear to leave. But having seen many pictures of your garden and house where you live now, and knowing that there you have your grandson nearby, I understand that that's the central location in your lives now, and not Yorkshire.
    Anyway, the pictures made me look forward even more to my upcoming Yorkshire holiday only four weeks to work, and then my sister and I will be off to Ripon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you will have an equally enjoyable holiday in Ripon. It's a pity that we could not have been in Yorkshire at the same time and arranged a meet-up. Perhaps on another occasion. Yorkshire exerts a very large piece of my heart - but so does family!

      Delete