Saturday 4 November 2023

Wet, wet, wet.

Autumn has arrived and the leaves are changing colour. I don't think that we are in for a great display this year because heavy rain and strong winds mean that many of the leaves have been blown from the trees and now lie sodden on the ground. I go out raking and sweeping when the rain stops for a short while and the sun breaks through. The collected leaves go on the compost heap, which is swelling dramatically. We walked by the seafront yesterday for a short while. Large amounts of seaweed have been thrown onto the beach by the storm and I intend to go back and collect some to add to the compost heap. There were also many shellfish stranded on the beach. Do people collect these to eat? As a life-long landlubber I have no idea.
My Halloween pumpkin may not have been spooky but the toadstools that have emerged around the garden due to the excessive rainfall are certainly spooking me a little. Slimy, unpleasant-looking growths.

4 comments:

  1. You could keep a heap of leaves in one corner of your garden as a winter quarter for hedgehogs and other small animals; they are in need of shelter which is often impossible to find in modern, sterile gardens (not yours, I know!).
    Love the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has lots of ground cover and is good for winter quarters. I've yet to see a hedgehog here but live in hopes. I've bought a hog house and a bat box for my grandson's garden and we are waiting patiently for occupants!

      Delete
  2. It's drier here today. Trying to get the motivation to clear up some of the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely day here also, good for a bit more leaf sweeping!

    ReplyDelete