Sunday 12 November 2023

Time to light the stove!

No sooner have we finished the autumn fun of halloween and bonfire night than the shops are hammering us with all things Christmas. Can't they wait until December? (Father Christmas has already filled all his slots at the place our grandson saw him last year!) The rooted Christmas tree that I bought last December is waiting outside in it's pot. It has been cossetted all year and has grown a little but it is never going to give me the problem of becoming too big to fit in the room, as was the case with the one that we left at our previous home. The weather is feeling more wintery now, it's definitely time to light the stove.
The trees are looking lovely, their structure showing beneath the leaves that still cling to the branches. There is a lot of leaf sweeping already done and plenty more to follow! As I add to the compost heap each day it looks almost full, but it quickly sinks. I only have the one bin here and therefore no means of turning it so I think it will take quite a bit longer to rot down.

4 comments:

  1. I love this time of year for its colours outdoors and coziness indoors. No woodburning stove in my or O.K.‘s house, but hardly an evening passes when we don‘t at least light a candle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a woodburning stove. Yes, Christmas "sales" start earlier and earlier every year. For the past couple of years we have had a "new to us" one Black Friday Sales on the last Friday of November although they have already started.

      Delete
    2. The leaf colours are wonderful and I like to get outside for a while each day. This year I've sometimes been defeated by the heavy rain!

      Delete
  2. Oh, what beautiful colours you´ve got in your garden. Yes, it´s mad how early they start with all the X-mas things. I don´t buy anything, I even try not to look at it. Pure ignoration is what they get from me :). I will enjoy autumn till the last day and then we can have Christmas. By the way: Thanks for the tip with the translate button. Now I´ve got one on my blog :). Have a lovely day.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete