Sunday 11 August 2024

The produce show

On Saturday we went to the allotment produce show and scarecrow competition. The allotment site is extremely large and we didn't manage to find which scarecrow had been awarded the first prize in spite of having a good wander up and down the narrow paths that divide the many plots.
Second prize went to the nearby lady on a bike.
Not all the scarecrows were so charming!
It was interesting to look at the range of vegetables in the show, it gives me a good idea as to what will grow well in this thin soil, although of course I don't know how much compost the various allotment holders might have put into their plots to produce such good results.
One happy prize winner with a smile as big as his marrow!
I love the attention to detail.
Then it was back to my own plot to carry on digging up weeds and suckers. I've got a lot of work to do before I can think about planting anything. I walk past other plots. What a lot of beans! How will they manage to eat that lot?

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely selection of produce and I did appreciate the scarecrows. You're going to have a good year ahead:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarecrows are so cool! I really like the lady artist. And the veggies, all lovely. I don't think we grow any vegetable like that marrow. The closest, I think, is zucchini, which we try to harvest when about 6".
    As for the beans---around here people grow long rows and rows of them! They must eat beans every day. I have seen people post about putting up 300 quarts in one summer! I like to have 30-40 quarts in my cellar, which is a 2-year supply for us.
    I really like the allotment system. Not only does it provide garden space and produce, but it is an opportunity for people to socialize a bit. And of course, there's the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that allotments are wonderful, for all the reasons that you give. (No plans to grow marrows - I think they are the most tasteless things!)

      Delete
  3. Like Granny Sue, I really like the lady artist, too. She is well dressed and her painting is wonderful.
    Beans can be easily prepared for storage - I doubt they will all be eaten fresh, unless the people who grow them regularly bestow buckets full to their neighbours and colleagues :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love climbing French beans, we could eat them every day, but the big beans to string don't excite me much.

      Delete
  4. What imaginative scarecrows. Really worth taking a walk around to see them all. And the marrow is terrific. I wish I could grow one like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that the marrow will taste of anything much. I'd stick with dainty zucchini and tasty squash!

      Delete
  5. Will you make a scarecrow once your allotment is fully functioning?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obviously, a lot of very good gardeners at the allotments. Love the scarecrows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fascinating mix of people, produce and methods of growing. I'm loving it!

      Delete