Monday 15 April 2024

Tyneham lost village

I have long been fascinated by lost and abandoned communities, stemming, I think, from my childhood when the valley near to the hamlet where we had a house was flooded to provide drinking water for the city of Leeds. The family of my friend Hilary, the farmer's daughter, were buried in the churchyard and we attended the final service before the church was deconsecrated. I think that some tombs were moved but the majority remained to be lost to the rising water. I don't know how long it took for the valley to fill but I remember some time later picking gooseberries from an abandoned garden. Since then I've walked around a number of abandonded villages. All of them seem to have been built in beautiful places and have the same quality of stillness and loss about them. One we have returned to many times is in Corfu. On our first visit, many years ago in springtime, we had to push our way through wildflowers and clouds of butterflies. With each return visit more and more houses were being reoccupied and the last time we were there a small café had opened and was doing good business, but somewhat spoiling the atmosphere that had once captured my heart! Last week we went to explore the village of Tyneham, its history quite different from that of the Corfiots, who left their homes of their own volition. Tyneham village was requisitioned by the army during the Second World War. The villagers were promised that they could return to their homes after the war but this never happened and the whole area remains with the military and is open to the public only on certain days. The former village life has been well documented.
The church remains in service.
John Gould's letter tells us how the villagers felt about the loss of their homes and community. It must be heartbreaking to see your former home reduced to a shell.
The farm, set a little away from the heart of the village, had obviously been a flourishing place. The barn was large enough for both a hay wagon and a space for village amateur dramatics. I found a chair that seemed suitable! I loved the range of hand tools, the scythes and pitchforks that were hanging on the walls.
From there we walked down to the coast at Warbarrow Bay. Fishing and farming were the main occupations of the village. Large quantities of herring were caught and sent by cart to the nearest town.
Coastal defences in the small cove to the right of Warbarrow Bay. You can tell from the lichen hanging on the tree branches that the air is very clean.

10 comments:

  1. Abandoned places hold a strong attraction for me; I have several books about "Lost Places" but they are all just single buildings, not an entire village. I have read about villages in the UK that were already abandoned in medieval times, when village folk died of the plague, or for other reasons. And I think there is a Midsomer Murders episode set in a village forcibly abandoned during the war.
    Anyway, I would love to visit Tyneham - only it is too far away from Yorkshire for a day trip while we're in Ripon in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly it is a long way from Ripon! I am keenly aware of the fact and long to be back in Yorkshire. Every house move that I have made takes me further away!

      Delete
  2. There is a haunting passage in one of Wainwright's books about visiting the beautiful and peaceful village of Mardale Green. He describes the foxgloves growing wild in the lanes, then hits you with "but no more summers for them". The waters of Hawes reservoir were rising towards them. "It was the saddest sight I ever saw". I may not have remembered the detail correctly.
    I was hoping for your take on the paintings in my last post. I don't mind if you think them poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall pop over to your site and comment on the paintings, Tasker.
      Our long walking days are over and we gave our set of Wainwright books to a younger friend who will put them to good use.

      Delete
  3. Fascinating. It seems unusual that a church in a lost village is still in service while many are closing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is a sop to the villagers because they had been promised a return to their homes, which was then not allowed.

      Delete
  4. So interesting! I can only imagine how disruptive and sad that must have been for the displaced villagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all pull together during the war and they believed that they would be returning to their homes at some point in the future. (I still dream about the house where I was born and brought up. I walk through the orchard and pick fruit - but only in the dreams!)

      Delete
  5. Just visiting from Tasker's blog. I found this fascinating and so sad that so many communities were forced to leave. Often, there were good reasons, but when life centred on the church and the school for generations, it's hard to abandon those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a time capsule to walk around the village and it will certainly not sink into obscurity as some small hamlets have done.

      Delete