Monday 8 April 2024

Small pleasures

First small pleasure was that we had a bit of sun yesterday! Only a bit, and it was accompanied by severe gusts of wind. I spent most of the day in the miniscule greenhouse and conservatory, tidying up and getting the benefit of warmth without the draughts. Outside there is plenty to see, small spring flowers popping up all over the place, looking rather shaky in my photos due to the wind.
The minnow daffodils and other early spring flowers are going over but the tulips are shaping up nicely and I'm very pleased with the pale blue muscari that I bought in the B&Q sale a while ago that are still going strong.
It's dry and bright today, once I've hung out the washing I'm going to be busy in the garden!

4 comments:

  1. Your garden certainly makes the most of any sunshine and bit of warmth it gets, by the looks of the flowers!
    The one in your first picture, Fritillaria meleagris, is a rarity in my part of the world and I remember from childhood walks with my Mum how she enthused over them on the rare occasions she spotted one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fritillaria are commonly called 'snake's head', a name which suits them well. I'm delighted to have them dotted about this garden as I've never managed to grow them in any of my former gardens. (This is the first time that I've gardened in acid soil and shade.)

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see a "spring" garden. I like the pairing of forget-me-nots and tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, aren't forget-me-nots the most obliging flowers, I love them and am always sad when they have gone over. I keep them in the ground until the seed has set and then shake those seeds about to be sure to have more plants the following year.

      Delete