Monday 1 June 2020

Dog days

June is the month when summer starts, but it has felt positively Mediterranean for quite a while now. The  countryside is looking lovely, the roadside verges are uncut and and the elderflower bushes are a froth of blossom.
A friend is recovering from an operation and I'm looking after her dog. We walk in the cool of the early morning and again in the evening, avoiding the heat of the day. 
It is wonderfully quiet, no aeroplane noise and little traffic, only the sound of birdsong.
I'd like to say, what a well-behaved dog, but we don't exactly see eye-to eye on good behaviour in the garden. We are getting quite a lot of terrier behaviour. Something very interesting is in the planting at the edge of the pond. The iris are now flattened!
Something else interesting, a mole, under a gooseberry bush and frantic digging and the scattering of much soil ensued. Most interesting of all is whatever is under the wooden shed where we keep the mower. "He's demolished half my shed!" said Himself. (He's not usually prone to exaggeration, but he isn't a dog lover.)
I'm enjoying being up in the early morning. Without a dog I'm a bit of a lie abed.
Chives and clematis colour matched.


We are starting to eat the new season crops, courgettes and mange tout and it looks as though its going to be a good year for artichokes.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, glorious photos as ever! You are good friends and a digging dog in this paradise ...! You'll probably never guess what will next attract its attention. At least you can report back on early mornings for a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, he is having the time of his life and goes to bed each night utterly exhausted!

      Delete
    2. I got my already programmed and blanked ATM card to withdraw the maximum of $1,000 daily for a maximum of 20 days. I am so happy about this because i got mine last week and I have used it to get $20,000. Mike Fisher Hackers is giving out the card just to help the poor and needy though it is illegal but it is something nice and he is not like other scam pretending to have the blank ATM cards. And no one gets caught when using the card. get yours from Mike Fisher Hackers today! *email cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com


      Delete
  2. As always, your garden looks lovely! The dog can't help it - as you say, Terrier behaviour... he was bred to be that way (which is one reason why, much as I love dogs, I would never ever get a Terrier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've owned a couple of smooth fox terriers in the past, very similar to my friend's dog, Sparky. They were well trained and knew what they could and could not do in the garden Also, they were bitches and much more biddable. I like the terrier nature rather than the big soft mutt variety, but they do keep you on your toes!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Exactly, Tasker, you've hit the nail on the head!

      Delete
  4. As a result of you mentioning courgettes recently I shall be getting some with my Thursday shopping delivery.

    I'm not a dog person and certainly would be unhappy having my garden dug up by one.

    I'm puzzled by your statement that today is the first day of British Summer Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right, Graham, it wasn't the start of British Summer Time and I've altered my text accordingly.
      I am a dog person. When I had my own dogs they were trained never to step on the soil and could dig only in their own designated spot. Our current visitor hasn't got a clue about any of that!

      Delete
  5. The garden looks so pretty Rosemary, I love your flowers. How nice of you to take care of your friend's dog! Just hearing the bird song makes a person grateful doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rain, I'm watching your gardening adventures with interest and am so pleased that you have found your own lovely place.
      Yes, the bird song is simply wonderful, it seems better than ever this year - such incredible noise from such small bodies!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely garden! I greatly admire people who are good at plants, as I completely suck at them. Thank you so much for visiting my blog, Rosemary! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your colour and creativity is in how you dress, Sheila. I dress like a tramp most of the time (as my daughter has told everyone in her newspaper column, mentioned on my Miss Cellany blog!) My colour is in the garden.

      Delete
  7. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete