Sunday 17 August 2014

A walk in the woods.

What with one thing and another we've been rather tied to home lately, but yesterday the weather improved for long enough for us to take a walk through the woods. We went to the pond with its two small islands where in the past we have seen a kingfisher. No brilliant flash of blue feathers to be seen on this occasion, just a couple of wild ducks skulking in the shadow of the overhanging trees.



The rain has fattened up the blackberries nicely. We didn't have a bag with us so we just ate!
The path that had been widened for taking out wood has grassed over. Bracken is threatening to encroach but for now it's lovely, easy walking underfoot.
Another part of the woodland is being cleared. It seems very intrusive, but nature will soon reclaim the space.
Young pheasants have been put in the pens to grow for the new season. No flight feathers as yet.What dim birds they are!
On our way back by the lake we met a neighbour with her grandsons. The boys were very well equipped; explorer hat, backpacks, spotter's guide books - with stickers!
Great excitement, a heron flew over! Out with the spotter's book, out with the stickers!
I was given a gold star sticker to wear. A strange old bird, obviously, although not in the book.
I've not yet been brave enough to climb to the top of the scaffolding. I made a start  but a strong side wind gave me the excuse to climb back down. Himself, who is made of sterner stuff, took the camera from me to record a bird's eye view. Just look at the tenuous state of our chimney!

I'm much happier at ground level pootling about in the vegetable garden.

Today the wind is even more freaky and we're skulking in the greenhouse with the Sunday papers. There's good growth going on all about us.

This lovely flower is from a piece of greenery that came home in my wash bag from our holiday in Sardinia last September.
The climbing Hoya I've had for many years. It was supposed to have been a popular buttonhole flower for gentlemen in the Victorian era although I don't know how they dealt with the sticky nectar that drips from the open petals - but the bees love it!
I've picked  a few wind-battered flowers for the house.

Wishing you all a good weekend.

22 comments:

  1. And a good weekend to you as well.

    With that view you show, I might just be tempted to take up residence on your roof! But then your veggie patch is grand too... As is your walk, your flowers, your greenhouse! Can't choose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't chose the roof - it gets windy round these parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attend to the flaunching, before it's too late...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flaunching attended to, Tom. (If you mean cementing in the chimney pot - a new word for me!)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful woodland area to walk and I was impressed by your great vegetable garden, it looks fabulous. Lovely bunch of flowers for the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good time of year, Janneke, for walking, eating and picking from the garden. I'm aware that time is running out, by September autumn will be in the air.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely blog to find - thanks for leaving a comment on mine. I shall definitely enjoy following yours - all that gorgeous green is one thing we miss here in Spain. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following you for a while, Annie, because you are living one of my daydreams - a house in the sun! Come the winter my blog will remind you why you moved!

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have that wood near you - a perfect place for a sheltered walk out of the wind. Your veg garden is looking very productive and looks as though you have plenty of flowers to choose from to bring in the house - my garden is looking pretty battered at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things have taken a battering here as well but I'm always surprised how forlorn specimens perk up once they are brought into the house and popped in a vase.
      We feel very fortunate to live so close to mixed woodland, it changes dramatically throughout the year.

      Delete
  7. beautiful!we have had rain and everything is battered and tomatoes are lousy - i think i need to replenish the soil better next spring! love the cukes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be supplying half the village with cucumbers!

      Delete
  8. What beautiful woodland walk, thank you for sharing!
    Loved your sky images below.
    Cheers,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the walk, Merisi. Every time I look at your beautiful photos of Vienna I think, "I must go there!" The tourist board should be paying you!

      Delete
  9. Oh Rosemary … thank you for sharing the beauty that is your garden … and you lovely walk! Perfectly transportive … and inspiration for further work in my own backyard!

    xoxo
    Tamera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you looking far more glamorous in your backyard than I do when working in mine!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely walk in the woods. Thank you for bringing us along. And what a view from your rooftop. But I understand that you feel more secure with both of your feet firmly on the ground in your beautiful garden. I'm not good with heights either. Wish I was though. ;)

    Thank you so very much for your sweet words on my blog. Words that warmed my heart. Thank you. :)

    Take care!

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have outside mowing. HOT here- and came in for a drink and quick poparound my favorite blogs. Lovely photos especially the one of you! Enjoyed walking with you thru the woods and then back to your own spot. I'm all cooled off and ready for more work. Thanks for the break


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are finished with 'hot' for another year here in Blighty (and I'm missing it already.) 'Outside mowing' sounds wonderfully romantic, Donna, although I know that the reality can be pretty hard work!

      Delete