Tuesday 10 October 2023

Birthday.

Our daughter's partner and I have birthdays just a few days apart so we had three days of celebrating, the weekend and my actual birth date on Monday. Eighty years young! The weather was warm and sunny so on Saturday we took a picnic to the National Trust gardens of KIngston Lacey and ate in style. We stowed away our picnic things after eating and looked round the house before strolling around the gardens. On Sunday we ate lunch outside on the terrace overlooking the sea at Brasserie Blanc. It was such a still, warm day that it was hard to credit that it was October. I went for a morning swim on my birthday and it was glorious. (It was also a statement of, 'eighty, so what!') I was the only person in the water, the sea was calm and warm and only the thought of the preparations for the afternoon entertaining persuaded me to leave the beach.
In the afternoon I gave a tea party to some of the people that I've got to know since moving to Bournemouth last October, neighbours and friends that I've met at the writing and book groups that I've joined. I set up savoury food and teacups in one room and desserts and fizz in another, with plenty of chairs both inside and out where people could sit to eat. I had a lovely time, lots of chatting but hopeless hosting skills from me as I forgot to light the candles and cut the birthday cake. (Rectified later when the family came round after work!)
Here I am plonked in the kitchen after a very happy time. The family did a good job of hoovering up quite a bit of the party food but half of the chocolate cake has gone into the freezer!

10 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday. Sounds like great celebrations. I get to be that young at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember, Susan, that you were born in '43 but I didn't know what month. I hope you will have an equally enjoyable time when it is your birthday .

      Delete
    2. Mine is the 2nd to last day of the year (30th). Not a good time to celebrate a birthday between Christmas and New Year and here it is the time for summer holidays.

      Delete
  2. So you share your birthday with John Lennon, David Cameron, Sharon Osbourne, and me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a motley crew, yourself excepted, Tasker! So you share the 9th with me? A balanced Libran I suspect, not an up and down one like me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have gotten something wrong there. No way you are 80! Maybe a typo on your birth certificate or something? :-D
    Seriously - you look great, and so does your birthday "do".
    A very belated Happy Birthday from me! (It'll be my Mum's 80th next year.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes. Damp weather today and my bones are telling me I'm eighty alright! Summer was far too short!

      Delete
  5. Oh cripes! We moved from Kingston-upon-Thames to Hereford in 1998 and we stiil haven't had that tea-party; Lack of tea bags seems a rather shaky alibi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you, Mr Robinson, get entertaining. I think that afternoon tea is a very civilised affair and easy to do. I did a mixture of home-made and bought food and can recommend the party selection of sandwiches from M&S. Lack of tea bags won't wash with me!

      Delete
  6. This time, you can visit Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and learn about parents who are dissatisfied with the treatment their trans children are receiving. You can find it in my blog, www.emilysvirtualrocket.blogspot. Thanks very much. Emily Shorette

    ReplyDelete