Thursday 24 June 2021

Blowsy.

 We have had both sunshine and rain and it's great growing weather. The garden and the roadside verges around the village are blowsy with vegetation. Wind and rain came and knocked the grasses about under the fruit trees so we've had to cut back into the paths a little to avoid the grass soaking our legs.

Some bushes have had a haircut and plants that have finished flowering have been cut back. The iris were wonderful this year but now I've cut the stems and leaves so that the sun can get to the corms.






















In a previous post Colette asked how I take rose cuttings. I have a patch of soil outside the fruit cage that I keep for cuttings of anything that I would like to propagate. I just stick lengths of stem into the ground and hope for the best. I don't always get round to labelling and rely on recognising the variety if it takes successfully. (Sometimes I'm left with a mystery!)




































I also put cuttings in pots.

Either way it is hit and miss. The advantage of outside is that I don't need to water, I can forget about the stems until they come into leaf.

I have propagated this little Raubritter rose and given it away as a gift many times. It is a sweetbriar and seems to be equally happy tumbling over low walls or climbing up them. It flowers only once around midsummer but the flowers stay on the plant for weeks.




















Cinderella climbing up the kitchen wall. This rose is happy enough in dry weather but an absolute flop if the rain gets to it.






Chapeau de Napoleon behaves well whatever the weather. It is a crested moss said to have been found in the wall of a Swiss convent in the early 1820's. I think the name probably comes from the curious shape of the emerging buds.
I think I rather maligned Honorine de Brabant, she is doing rather well this year. She came as a cutting from a friend.

The climbing Iceberg will flower all summer long!




































13 comments:

  1. Many thanks for letting me know your cuttings technique. I like the idea. Such beautiful pictures again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about taking cuttings , (apart from the huge amount of money saved!) is that the plants remind you of the friends who provided the cuttings, Molly's iris, Shelagh's Honorine rose and so on. Both those friends have since died, so it is lovely to have the memory of them flourishing in my garden.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Hello, I can't remember how I stumbled across your blog, but I got organised for a change and saved it in my reading list :0 Absolutely beautiful roses! and garden too! Are any of the ones you show scented? I only have three roses in my garden so I think that needs to be rectified at some point. I love the 'sticking method' - no fuss and exciting to see the results. Lulu of Long Mizzle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lulu, my Heritage rose has a delicate perfume and produces flowers throughout the summer. Gardeners' World were raving about the scent of Jude the Obscure, but I've never bought that rose because I don't like character in the book! Of course, if you come by my house you can take some cuttings!

      Delete
  3. Your roses are so beautiful and I like your propagation method. Very simple, I'd be okay with hit or miss! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to propagate my camellias for years and it is miss very time!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

  5. great post!Like your blog, thank you for sharing.
    (づ ̄3 ̄)づ╭❤~
    hairshop com
    These contents have greatly helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete