Tuesday 31 March 2020

seedlings

The sun is shining, tempting me to be outside, but when I put on my coat and boots and venture out I discover that the wind is still as viciously cold as it's been for the last few days, the sort of weather that makes your head ache. So frustrating, because the garden is bursting with colour and emerging growth. How resilient nature is! The little plum tree that stands in the teeth of the east wind has held on to most of it's blossom.
Other shrubs are bursting with life.

But my lovely camellias have suffered a certain amount of wind and frost damage.

The primroses, although they look so delicate, are obviously as tough as old boots. They've taken over the ground beneath my blackcurrant bushes.
This is how the veg garden is looking. The contents of one of the compost heaps have been put in the potato trenches and onto the greens plot.
Last years 'Charlotte' potatoes are planted, but the varieties that I ordered some weeks ago have yet to arrive. Deliveries have gone to pot, I've been unable to get food deliveries from my usual sources in spite of being in the vulnerable category. (The computer just wrote, 'venerable' - I like that!) The soil has taken a battering, months of rain followed by a scouring wind.
Absolutely the best place to be is in either of the two greenhouses. They are crammed with seedlings.

So is the house!
A few random potatoes put to chit.
'Red Cherry' tomato seedlings. 
Last spring I bought a dry-rooted rose for the house greenhouse, a spindly-looking thing, 'Maricel Neil'. I had grown it at our last house over twenty years ago and suddenly missed it's soft, floppy pale lemon flowers.
It has grown wonderfully and is full of bud-
watch this space!
A new cushion from my friend Janet.
Dear Bloggers
keep home, keep safe, keep well.

15 comments:

  1. Your seedlings are doing well, Rosemary and your gardens are about to open up to new life. I have been working on mine and most are OK. I am grateful for what I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a good time to have a garden. I feel very sorry for those people contained in high-rise flats with no access to outside space.

      Delete
  2. Looking glorious already! Only because you say so, it's not apparent from the pics that the weather is too bitter to be out. And your posy of camellias look Flower Show perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the tempter, Pip, the sun looks so inviting but the north wind is a biter!
      Aren't camellia flowers perfection.

      Delete
  3. It looks all wonderful! Same here; the sun lures us out but one really still needs a padded coat and scarf. It is going to warm up considerably over the second half of this week, with temps up to 19C on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear that garden centres are under threat of closure and may have to bin thousands of plants at the time when they should be selling the most. That is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they've closed, what a disaster. I'm busy digging for victory but my neighbour is of the slash and burn school, not growing a solitary thing.

      Delete
  5. Our plum tree is still asleep here in Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will waken in glorious style this coming weekend when we are promised some WARM weather!

      Delete
  6. The nice thing about the end of our camelias, it heralds the beginning of peonies blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but let's not rush them, Doc, they are such beautiful flowers. My peonies are looking very skinny, they will be a while yet.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, I LOVE your lot. What a wonderful space. Here's to your garden. Happy Planting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leopard moving company is one of the Fast Moving Company in Dubai professional moving and packing company in Dubai. Many companies providing moving services with professional care and High Quality with experienced Staff, covered vehicles and affordable packers and movers in Dubai. Additional, don’t worry about your belongings. With a highly trained professional movers team, warehousing storage facilities, Fast Movers and Packers in Dubai and excellent transportation, we can take care of all your complete moving and packing procedures. As a trusted Movers, Customer satisfaction is our priority local movers and packers in Dubai Be when we take charge of your move.

    https://www.leopardmoversdubai.com

    ReplyDelete