Monday 15 July 2019

Stipa

About twenty years ago we made a small area of gravel garden. I was pleased with the result and it has needed very little maintenance since its construction. But I looked at it yesterday evening while wandering about and there was hardly any gravel left to see, I'll have to do a fair bit of pulling out and re-establish some easy spaces to walk through.

I sowed a packet of the small grass, stipa tenuissima at the time and it provided me with plants that are still going strong.  It's well behaved and gives movement to the garden, waving gently in the slightest breeze. Yesterday the evening sun shone through the fronds making them look especially lovely.


The garden is in full summer mode.
Lots of colour!
The foxgloves are going over and the hollyhocks taking their place. They are all grown from a packet of white seed, not that you would know as they come in a variety of pastel shades!


It's St Swithin's Day, gloriously sunny- no sign of rain. It wasn't like this fifty-two years ago on our wedding day! I'm going to put on a summer dress and then we'll saunter out for a celebratory lunch.

11 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Rosemary! And Himself, of course. 52 years is a long time together. Hope you had a lovely lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you do is beautiful!

    Happy Anniversary, Rosemary. We celebrated our 52nd last month. Actually, we didn’t really celebrate as I had forgotten until My RetiredMan gave me a very sweet card. I sort of felt guilty but then I thought that after 50 years, I should be given grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful day and we feel ourselves to be very lucky, we are happy and relatively healthy with a caring family of whom we are so proud.
      Mega brownie points to your man for remembering a card!

      Delete
  3. How utterly beautiful.

    Happy Anniversary, as well. We're heading toward #47. Can't quite believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, 47 and 52, those numbers don't seem real!

      Delete
  4. Hope you had a happy wedding anniversary. Your garden looks gorgeous, I love the grasses in the mild summer light. Can't believe that this is possible with just seeds … must give it a try by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stipa seem easy to propagate from seed. They also seed from the parent plant but are shallow rooted and so no problem to pull up.

      Delete
  5. Happy Anniversary! It is my parents' wedding anniversary today (their 54th), but we all met for a Sunday lunch so that we could all be there, even O.K. who lives 150 km away.
    Your garden is so beautiful! I have a thing for grasses, so I like that part especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice for all the family to be together to celebrate your parents' anniversary - the same day as ours!

      Delete

  6. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete