Friday 28 December 2018

Branches

We had a real tussle getting the tree into the house, mostly due to the weight of the soil in the pot, but also because the tree is wide and had to be brought in backwards. It was tricky pulling it through the doorways. I forget how old the tree is now, possibly getting on for twenty years. The branches are rather sparse and I should really look for a smaller rooted tree to replace it for next year but once the decorations are on I tell myself that it looks fine. Its in a dark corner of the room, only a shaft of sunshine shows up the bare branches and we don't see much sun!

I like decorations and presents that are homemade. I usually give homemade jam and chutney as small gifts for my friends but since they are as accomplished, or more so, than me in the kitchen this year I painted and decorated branches for them. And then I made some for myself!


Just before the light faded today the sky turned pink. Its the last Friday Skywatch of 2018

and I wish all sky watchers 
A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR.

11 comments:

  1. Your tree is beautiful and I agree, homemade is the best!!! :) I love your sky photos, happy holidays Rosemary to you and your hubs!!! And I wish you the best in 2019!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree and maybe it is to old to bring in ?
    We were all small gifts and had a fun day.
    Love your skywatch.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very attached to my tree, despite there being a lack of needles! I shall take off the decorations in a day or two and we'll heave the pot back into the garden for another year.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful that you use the same tree year after year. I've never much cared for the practice of cutting down a tree from a tree farm, using it for a couple weeks and throwing it away. Your sky photos are beautiful. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't use a tree for just a week or so and then discard it.
      Your photos of bright skies are going to keep me cheerful through the dark months. January and February to get through and then I'll be back in the garden and happy!

      Delete
  4. I'm a stickler for tradition Rosemary, and so as long as you are both physically able to, then drag that tree in whatever the size and state of it. We have something of a reputation for having a large tree ourselves. Have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, Gary, and like tradition. Once we've got the tree inside it isn't too high for the room although it is rather wide . Our cottage rooms are small but we should be able to use the tree for a few more years yet. Being confined to a pot it doesn't grow much year by year although I do feed and water it.

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful sky for this time of year! Thanks for sharing it and a happy new year to you, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started the New Year in the company of friends, quite the most promising way to begin 2019! Wishing you good health and happiness, dear Wildside, throughout the coming year.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete