Monday 11 June 2018

White flowers

When the weather is fine we spend as much time as possible outdoors. It's a real pleasure to sit out under the walnut tree for a drink and a chat when friends and neighbours call round. When I'm filling the kettle at the kitchen sink I watch the bees going in and out of the white foxglove flowers. The petals are almost translucent and I can see the shadow of the bee inside each bell. I love white flowers and encourage the foxgloves to seed wherever they will.
This is my view from the kitchen window. The 'Pascali' rose faces south so I only get a view of the back of it's flower heads.
It's the same with 'Iceberg'.

Roses are everywhere, on walls,
fences
and climbing up a corner of the house.



Another generous self-seeder is this campanula. The slugs and snails don't attack the foxgloves and campanula. What a bonus that it in my garden!

I wish that I could say the same for the lupins. I grew  a good number of healthy plants from last year's  saved 'Gallery White' seed but they have been mostly devoured by slugs. I hate to use slug pellets. I put grit round the base of the delphiniums, with some success, but it doesn't work so well with the lupins. They must taste wonderful!




13 comments:

  1. I love the foxgloves. I can't seem to keep mine going and they don't self seed well for me. Your roses are also beautiful. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foxgloves are biannual, which may explain your problem. Try sowing fresh seed in a tray at the end of summer so that you get plenty of small plants to put out in the spring. Do the same the following year and thereafter they should self seed all over the place quite happily - at least in theory!

      Delete
  2. I'd never leave home Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stay close to home in the summer months, Donna, when it's lovely just to be home.

      Delete
  3. They are all so pretty, Rosemary. Youlive in such a lovely area.

    We use beer on slugs. Don’t know if it works, but if it does, the slugs have a happy death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the slugs are going to have any chance of tasting the craft beers that Himself enjoys!

      Delete
  4. Oh My Goodness, all the roses, flowers and green everywhere. It looks like you have a large crew to help you.
    Beautiful, wonderful and lovely.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June is the most enjoyable month in the flower garden. I've got no crew other than a non-gardening husband who cuts the lawn and has a go at any heavy work that is beyond me. It's a case of, "be careful not to stand on that little plant. Oh, dear, never mind!" How I would appreciate a knowledgable crew!

      Delete
  5. Your view is beautiful and I just love those roses! We are the same, during this short spring through autumn season, it's outdoor life as much as possible! Winter is too long with the cabin fever so we take full advantage of the nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm out all day long in fine weather, fingernails a disgrace, dirty knees, grubby toes, happy woman!

      Delete
  6. i tried foxgloves but don't think they do very well on a terrace and they are the one plant i have failed at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment on my blog today! How beautiful all of your flowers are, especially the roses. Your garden looks like paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect inspiration :) and what attention to detail! I admire and congratulate.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete