Friday 19 January 2018

In the garden

When the sun comes out, even briefly, it's hard not to want to be in the garden. It looks so inviting seen through the landing window.
We wake most mornings to a hard frost that has whitened the ground, but once the sun is up it soon clears away. I enjoy this crisp, cold weather so much more than dank and dark. Once well wrapped up I've been outside to do a bit of tidying up in the veg beds. The soil isn't really fit to be worked on and my boots are quickly clogged, but the exercise and the sight of freshly turned soil pleases me. (Although I do get into trouble for spreading mud on the paths!)
The netting arrangement to keep the pigeons away from the brassica is not a very pretty sight - but it works!
It's cheering to see the daffodils pushing through the earth around the fruit trees.
The greenhouse is absolutely crammed with plants. They will have to wait in there for a good few weeks yet.
Photos yesterday from my neighbour in Yorkshire. She was waiting for the gritting lorry to arrive!
I would like to be there - I think it looks beautiful.

10 comments:

  1. They are all such pretty pictures, but I do love your green gardens better. We have been having small snow storms weekly and although they are lovely to look at, they are a nuisance. I am greatful, though, that they haven’t been those larger storms that others are suffering through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased to learn that the weather you are experiencing, though unpleasant, isn't too extreme, Maybe. On our news channels we see that some parts of America have suffered terribly with all manner of stuff; snow, fire, flood, mud. I'll try not to moan about my own small share of damp and dreary!

      Delete
  2. Our winter weather is just now beginning, we will soon be back out in the garden. Your gardens look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a squelch of mud, Bonnie! The ground gives gently underfoot when we walk on it - FAR too much rain.

      Delete
  3. You live in such a beautiful place. Your garden is lovely even in winter.
    We might get some rain tomorrow and we are all hope it is the start of our winter. We need some rain in the valley and snow in the mountains.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Parsnip, I would gladly send you some rainfall, I've got more than my fair share of the stuff. I'm doing far too much cowering inside at the moment and could do with a dog to give me the routine of going out whatever the weather.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks so pretty! I wish I could live in a more temperate area...but I don't want to leave Canada..so I'll make do. :) Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temperate is good, I agree, especially for gardeners. But you have drama and wonderful space, Rain, a good exchange for rather a lot of dull and damp!

      Delete
  5. Couldn't resist to pop on by this morning and see your garden as beautiful as always. Disappointingly, I've needed to give up on catching up on past posts as you might quite well imagine, but it is good to see you keeping on. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wildside, how are you? I take it life is busy? Yes, I'm "keeping on", using the blog as a visual diary. I shall be able to scroll back and look at it if or when I get too doddery to garden.

      Delete