Sunday 25 October 2015

A sunny Sunday

I walked on a bedroom carpet in my bare feet when we came back from holiday and discovered that the floor was soaking wet, caused by a leak from the water tank in the attic. Yesterday the plumber came and because it was so wet and muddy outside Himself brought some dust-sheets from the shed to put down on the stairs and landing in preparation for all the traipsing up and down. Oh, my poor dust-sheets, a mouse had made a nest of them last winter and now they are a mass of holes! This morning the rain had stopped so I put the sheets in the washing machine and then hung them out to dry. What a sight, the mouse had made a thoroughly good job of chewing through every layer of fabric! 
But the sun was shining, I find it hard to be downhearted on a day like today. We put on our boots and enjoyed a walk around the lake. Tomorrow I'm going shopping to find a big box to store my dust sheets in - once they've been patched! 




4 comments:

  1. Unexpected and unforeseen chores always seem to crop up just when we think that life is travelling along pleasantly. However, you had plenty of cause to also feel happy walking in the sunshine through the beautiful autumn colours to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to dismiss the thought that trouble often comes in threes!

      Delete
  2. Mice find a home in the most unexpected places don't they? Last spring, when I brought the motorbike out of it's winter covering in the shed, I found that a mouse had made it's home under the seat, and also found our bird food supply in another shed and transferred a load under the seat as well! I do hope you have managed to dry everything out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dust sheets had been neatly folded and put on a shelf in an outbuilding. The mouse ate a neat round hole through the lot, eight holes in each sheet - it must have been very cosy throughout the winter! Today we went out and bought a couple of strong plastic storage boxes that I hope will put paid to more nibbling. The sheets are now washed and dried and only one more has to be laboriously patched!

      Delete