Sunday 1 February 2015

Wallpaper

I've got the urge to decorate, although it's a little early for spring!
I've looked longingly on Coulda's blog at her fabric and wallpaper choices. Only one room in our home, our bedroom, is wallpapered.
Every other room has a matt surface of paint.
But I'm ready for a change in the dining room, currently painted a dark green, (a colour which the camera doesn't reproduce faithfully.) We came home from seeing the film, "Testament of Youth' this week, me thinking how much I liked that period of clothing, early 1900's, and Himself saying how nice the wallpaper was!
I know exactly what I would like, I can picture it exactly! 
The word 'would' is meaningful here because I have been searching on-line and realise that what I had in mind would cost an arm and a leg. On short stays at the Endsleigh Hotel and  Bovey Castle I had drooled over their Chinese wallpapers; birds and flowers and fabulous colours. Having now seen the process of hand-painting without a mention of price - choose your background colour, tell us what you would like, send measurements..... I know that such papers are out of the question.
             But there's nothing wrong in dreaming.
 Ooh, can I have a really singing yellow, please? 
Falling back down to earth, the fact is that we live in an old cottage with rustic features such as tongue and groove doors so I'll console myself with the thought that hand-painted wallpaper might be rather out of place. (But I'm still going to hunt and see if I can find something affordable.)
Of course the Bloomsbury bunch would have set too and painted the wallpaper themselves. I've seen their efforts at Charleston. Talk about shabby-chic!
I visited Charleston some years ago in high summer and absolutely loved it, the interior decor reminded me very much of the home I grew up in. My father was a demon for painting surfaces; walls, ceilings, furniture, you name it!
He would have fitted in very well with Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell!

Vanessa Bell at Charleston in 1930.
Vanessa painted by Duncan Grant c. 1916.
Vanessa painting.
What a creative and inspiring place it was for them.
The garden when I visited was a delight.

If you haven't visited then it has to go on your 'MUST SEE' list.
Duncan Grant, 'Lessons in the Garden.'
Take a look at Miss Cellany to see the Charleston interiors used as the backdrop to a fashion shoot for Harper's Bazaar.

19 comments:

  1. Lovely !
    You could just wallpaper a wall and not the whole room.
    And winter or not you could do that now !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip, I think that you would absolutely ADORE Charleston.
      I suspect that the price of one panel of wallpaper, let alone a wall, might be out of the question!

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to visit Charleston. I have a big shiny book about it and dream about having a Bloomsbury style library. As for wallpaper, I love it. But it really isn't a "thing" here in the states and therefore very difficult to find. I'm not giving up though. You have definitely inspired me to persevere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a big tradition of wallpaper in Britain but it comes in and out of fashion. It has not been much in favour for years now so I think that perhaps it's due for a resurgence of interest!

      Delete
  3. I love your wallpaper choice! We are currently dithering over London versus Paris for the big 30th anniversary this fall. Is Monks House do-able by train from London? I really need to start thinking of a plan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't dither, come to London and then pop on the train to Paris for a few days. It's do-able!
      Don't know about connections to Monks House, I'm afraid.
      Just the weather for staying inside and making lots of plans!

      Delete
  4. I too lust after Chinoiserie wallpaper -- and cannot afford it either. If you like that look, have you thought of buying a large Chinese art poster and framing it instead? There are many beautiful ones that can be purchased online, and you can choose the size and shape that will look best in your dining room. Thanks for the look at that artistic movement's most interesting lives -- their garden is definitely on my list of many gardens to visit when I find myself on your distant shores. Good luck with your decorating project! -Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is small, the house is a delight! I'm greedy,I want every wall blooming and full of birds!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous pictures of Charleston - I have seen pictures, read about it but never been - one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has all the elements that you would appreciate, Elaine. You'll have to make that 'one day' happen!

      Delete
  6. I think all your choices are fab and knowing your aesthetic you will make the perfect choice! I also loved and have pinned that Bloomsbury group fashion shoot that was the best of UK press last year. Thanks for the shout out too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the price may have defeated me this time.
      Isn't the fashion shoot glorious!

      Delete
  7. I once loved wallpaper when we were first married we wallpapered our little flat with wallpaper it was wonderful at first but after a while it is just too busy now I prefer feature walls.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fashions and tastes change, Merle. When we first set up house in the '60's wallpaper was very popular and we decorated nearly every room with it. I wouldn't want to live now with some of the patterns that we chose!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Elizabeth, but advertising is not wanted on this blog.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Nadeem, but advertising is not wanted on this blog.

      Delete
  10. I have had the same dream of Chinese birds and flowers wallpaper, but as you say - the PRICE!!! However, I've just been looking online and found this (and many similar ideas). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Teal-Butterflies-Statement-Wallpaper/dp/B00MBKO2TC/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
    and I have decided to buy enough of these lengths (10metres long) to paste on to the bank of wardrobes all down one wall of my bedroom. The other walls will be painted in the same shade as the background colour of the wallpaper. I love this Soft Teal and my duvet covers are a slightly deeper shade of Teal, or Pure White Broderie Anglaise, so I reckon they will look just perfect!

    ReplyDelete