Monday 28 July 2014

Summer

The wonderful weather continues and I'm slobbing about the garden in comfortable old cotton clothes for Patti's  Not Dead Yet Monday. The top and skirt are old, bought for just a few pounds years ago. 
The top has lost it's shape and is skewed to one side and the skirt is baggy to put it mildly - perhaps that's why these clothes feel so comfy!
The cowhide belt is a hand-me-down from a daughter and the beaded sandals are old favourites from Duo. (I'm sitting in the rowing boat seat - the only boat I'll be in for a the foreseeable future!)
There is plenty of summer colour in the garden
and a good choice of flowers to pick for the house.

On Saturday evening friends came to supper, a good opportunity to use some garden produce. I made zucchini ripieni  
and a curried potato salad with the Charlotte potatoes.
We got out the deck chairs,
and set tables on the lawn. It was our book group meeting to talk about Ian McEwan's 'Sweet Tooth', so, of course, there had to be puddings! As with the critics, the book divided opinion but provided a lively discussion. We sat outside well into the night with just a few lanterns on the tables to cast a bit of light. If only we could have summers like this every year!
Vanilla says, phew, it's hot. 
Well I suppose it is if you're wearing a fur coat!

12 comments:

  1. love this and look how cute you look!!!! I should be out weeding today, but have woken up to well-needed rain, so it will be indoor work today! The garden is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are living out of doors at the moment, Wendy. The oven is switched off and Himself is in charge of the barbecue - plenty of stir fries! The garden is now getting rather parched, but, hey, we're loving the sunshine!

      Delete
  2. You and everything look wonderful, Rosemary. I have a skirt similar to yours and it is so comfy also.

    Other than some violent thunderstorms, we are also having a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind a good downpour of rain - overnight, of course! - because some of the bushes and plants are starting to keel over and the trees to shed their leaves.

      Delete
  3. So pretty - love this pink skirt, and of course the glorious garden setting. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to leave a message on your blog, Patti, but without success. I think your tartan outfit is lovely and SO much better than the curious mishmash of flower fabric and tartan that someone designed for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. They could have done with you as fashion advisor!

      Delete
  4. If I may say…you look as lovely as your flowers. We are also having wonderful summer weather here in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you kind sir! Glad all is smiling in Oregon.

      Delete
  5. If only I looked so nice out in the garden!

    Oh, Vanilla... I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanilla and I, both getting a bit muffin top!

      Delete
  6. You look fabulous! We are having the mildest summer I can remember....I am loving it. I love hearing about your book group meetings. My group doesn't meet during the summer. I miss it, but it does give everyone the chance to read things not on our list. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, we also haven't had a summer like this for years.

    Have you read 'Sweet Tooth' Bonnie? One reviewer said that after she had read the ending she just wanted to throw the book away and I felt rather the same way. Other members of the group enjoyed being teased and played with. After the 'Atonement' ending McEwan has become a very unreliable narrator for me so I found it hard to believe in his supposedly female character from the start.

    ReplyDelete