Friday 30 August 2013

Death of a Naturalist

I'm sad to hear of the death today of Seamus Heaney. His poetry has been a source of pleasure to me for many years. Some of his poems have felt like conversations with a friend. We are much of an age and I had expected those conversations to continue well into my old age. I especially love some of the poems from his first publication and am brought to tears by the funeral of his little brother in 'Mid-Term Break' and to smiles at the imagery and the wisdom of  'Scaffolding.'
The pieces that show his love and respect for his father express exactly what I feel about my own father. 'Follower' tells us that those whom we love and respect never completely leave us. So it will be with Seamus Heaney.

I was a nuisance, tripping, falling,
Yapping always. But today
It is my father who keeps stumbling
Behind me, and will not go away.

from 'Follower.'


1 comment:

  1. RIP Seamus. He may have been a celebrity perse but he is the one who will be remembered instead of the Kardashians 500 years from now...

    ReplyDelete