Friday 18 January 2013

What a difference

What a difference a day makes, as the song goes! We woke to snow this morning, the light,drifting stuff that climbs up the window frames, coats the bushes and transforms the garden.
The sky remained leaden, threatening more snow to come.
We live in a small hamlet, most of us surrounded by a decent sized garden. We can be as sociable or unsociable as we please, barely seeing a neighbour for weeks and then, if there is a special occasion, all of us just about fitting into one large room.
The council doesn't clear the road that runs through our hamlet but they have supplied us with gritting salt for bad weather, which is kept across the road at the stables. They also gave the village a couple of fluorescent jackets printed on the back with 'snow warden' for the village snow team, of which Himself is one! Yesterday he was called out on salting work.
It didn't do much good, only one four x four has made it up the hill today!
So we went for a walk.








It was magical.


17 comments:

  1. So pretty! And I always love the quiet that comes with snow. It's so peaceful and, you're right, magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I would like to try living in a "hamlet".
    I live in a suburb :-) although I must say I do like the convenience of walking to the grocery store. Your area looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica, I've lived in cities, suburbs and and the countryside and I do like the latter best of all. It doesn't, as you rightly point out, have any conveniences at all, unless you count no street lights so that you are able to look at the stars!

      Delete
  3. That is quite a snowfall. Hopefully, you will not be snowed in for too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, as we have a little jaunt booked for next week to celebrate Himself's birthday!

      Delete
  4. It is beautiful! I love a snow fall that keeps me in my area. I hope you had plenty of bread, milk and tea....and a few good books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing about living in a spot with no amenities is that we are well stocked up with foodstuff, candles etc... and a good pile of books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Foodstuff, candles and books....what more could you both want? Beautiful pictures of a magical place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have added a good wood store to the list, Gary. We are getting through it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, I still have a childish delight in a good fall of snow.

      Delete
  8. So amazing, everytime, how a snowfall changes everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures show how enchanting the countryside looks in deep snow. It does transform everything - and I guess it also feels a little strange being cut off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are retired, Wendy, so don't have to worry about getting out of the village to go to work. We always have supplies at home because shops are a car journey away and we often spend a week going nowhere at all!

      Delete
  10. What lovely photographs! Thanks for stopping by, I look forward to returning... Reggie

    ReplyDelete