Sunday 28 August 2011

Lady Farm

This afternoon I went with friends to a rare plant sale at Lady Farm. Fourteen of these events have been held throughout the year at venues all over England. I didn't think that many of the plants on sale were especially 'rare' but it was good to be outside wandering about someone's garden because, by way of a change, IT WASN'T RAINING!



Near to the house there is a formal garden enclosed by a crisply cut hedge. The narrow gravel pathways are neatly edged with box.












Within the strict confines of the box edging the flowers are harmoniously coloured and luxuriant in growth. This is my favourite sort of garden planting.
Lady Farm is most well known for 'prairie' and 'steppe' style planting, with the use of many grasses and sedges interspersed among flowers of striking colours. 





A lake has been dug from a small water source in the upper garden area.



I didn't come away empty-handed! I had a helpful conversation at this rose stall, bemoaning the fact that, once again, a 'Blue Moon' rose had up sticks and died on me. The stall holder was selling 'Twice in a Blue Moon', which is a modern replacement. It is described as much easier to grow and having greater resistance to disease. But he recommended 'Lavender Ice' as being a much sturdier specimen, so that's who I've brought home.


5 comments:

  1. I am swooning over your new rose!
    Plant sales in a setting such as this must be so much more successful than in a sidewalk setting.
    Our hardy plant group has a sale in a smaller estate and it is so popular that people line up an hour before the gates are opened.
    Your outing sounds very grand indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hostess, Yes, I'm swooning over her too! The good thing about these events is that the stall holders are so knowledgeable. My rose man was no fool - he gave me his catalogue and it has some beautiful new flowers that look like must haves! 'Joie de Vivre', flower of the year 2011 will be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a delightful way to spend a day. I learn so much from talking to vendors at garden show. Your prize rose is luscious. I'm experiencing rose envy. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosemary,
    I tried to identify some of the plants. One of them looked like Mexican Sage (purple flowers in the picture with the boat. They are a staple in most of the gardens that I see in Santa Cruz, California and it is beautiful. I grew it here in Pennsylvania for a few years, but now, no longer can find it.

    I love the pictures of the grasses. I am always trying to find new and different plants to grow and grasses come in so many varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rowing boat moored is just perfect, what a feature. Evocative of Ratty & Moley ‘messing about in boats’. Some fantastic plants on display but particularly partial to the combination of Russian Sage, Sedum and Lychnis!

    Bertie

    ReplyDelete