Sunday 24 April 2011

Eggs

I have a motley collection of Easter decorations, but my favourite by far is this abandoned wren's nest, so carefully made, with moss and pieces of polystyrene on the outer layer and what looks like long strands of my own hair forming the soft inner layer!


African beaded bird

enamel Easter gift containers

When our daughters were young we kept Khaki Campbell ducks. They were delightful creatures and very good layers

 but preferred to lay their eggs anywhere rather than in their nesting box.

I made some buns with the eggs from Kim and Andy 

and assembled a favourite chocolate recipe.



Some neighbours came round for afternoon tea and I intended to toast hot cross buns. The tradition of sharing of these buns is considered a statement of friendship.

"Half for you and half for me
Between us two shall goodwill be."

But Doc has recently given me a new mantra. He gave me the quote, "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first." 

We sat in the garden and drank cava and ate cakes and I forgot all about the hot cross buns!


13 comments:

  1. I love the thought of the wren using your hair to warm its nest. I like to put out snippets of yarn I have used for different baby projects. Sometimes I find it up in a tree, sometimes it just disappears. It seems as if you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello rosemary,


    your easter decorations are really lovely. i esp love the nest. i have a small collection of nests too. i think they are beautiful works of art.

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the image with your friends gathered in the garden in the sunshine. I particularly like the chairs and tables...reminds me of the Edwardian films by Merchant/Ivory productions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful collection of Eastery things, are the eggs wren's too? The paintings are lovely, we kept Khaki Campbells too and they were sweeties - love the egg under the rhubarb leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello:
    What lovely images you have used in this post, ending in a very happy scene of friends together. We do hope that you are going to enjoy those delicious looking Hot Cross Buns today, perhaps for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again:
    We see that our comment on your Good Friday post was not published - it must have disappeared into cyber space. Most likely we did something wrong! It was to say that yes, the comparison with a Helen Allingham watercolour we thought most appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the mantra, Cher, but then again I try to have faith by thinking 'leave dessert for afters'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Bonnie and Janet, Yes, isn't that nest just fantastic, made with such care and expert recycling!

    Dear Hostess, If it had been Merchant-Ivory I would have had a 'little woman' (or two) inside in a pinny doing the work. What a lovely thought!

    Dear Jennifer, the eggs didn't come with the nest but were abandoned elsewhere. I've no knowledge of birds' eggs, but aren't those a lovely colour?

    Dear Jane and Lance, Welcome. Yes, we had toasted buns for breakfast!

    Perhaps you are not a pudding man, Tom?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you hadn;t left them under the toaster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just been reading through your blog posts. Your garden is gorgeous. I usually spend every waking minute in mine too. Sad that little wren's nest was abandoned or perhaps the little ones had already flown. I agree, the eggs are a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In that lovely spot I could forget about a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Weaver, they were freshly toasted at breakfast - we are from Yorkshire, we waste nowt!

    Dear Molly, I think that the blue eggs might be blackbirds'. I have quite a collection of nests, mostly from our previous home which had a large, wild garden with many mature trees. It was a perfect hunting ground for neighbouring cats and there were also aerial battles with jays and magpies, hence my assortment of abandoned objects.

    I think it was the cava and the conversation that made me forgetful, Olive!

    Hope Grandad's hat got a spell in the garden over Easter, Doc.

    ReplyDelete