Tuesday 10 August 2010

Haircuts


I've been going round the garden giving plants a good haircut; the lack of rain has shortened their flowering season and things are looking rather tired. I'm always loathe to cut the lavender but know that if I don't the bushes will become too leggy and lose their shape.


The lavender has been alive with bees throughout the summer, the flower heads swaying in the slightest breeze, a mediterranean plant enjoying a mediterranean summer for a change. Plants edge the path to the front door and crowd over steps around the garden, releasing their perfume as you brush past.


The santonila, bay and box are all neatly trimmed, but I haven't had the heart to cut back the lavender just yet.


Today we have, at last, had a much-needed downfall of rain. I went to the hairdresser's for a short back and side - my hairstyle is asymmetric.  When I got home the uncut lavender looked really bedraggled. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my renovation. I'm very impressed with your new blog. Your writing is wonderful and your photos are gorgeous. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind if I gave you mention on my blog and shared some of your pictures and prose? What you're doing is beautiful and I've love to help you share your garden. Steve

    ReplyDelete